Comment of the Week.

Posted by lewis on May 31, 2009 at 10:12 am.

2550236041_8bf541147e_b

Comment of the week goes to Dave Mailman, who seemed to develop a moderate-to-serious addiction to the PostSurf commenters arena this week.

Honestly, I'm on the road right now, and I didn't take the time to read through all of the comments.  But I'm certain that many readers hammered out insights that eclipsed those of Mr. Mailman.

However, the crown goes to Mr. Mailman simply because he chose to stand by his opinions by attaching his actual name to them.

(Dave Mailman is not an un-clever pseudonym - he's an actual person who does the webcast commentary for various ASP Europe and WCT events).

One of the common criticisms my work receives (usually from anonymous commenters) is something along the lines of this: "Whatever, dude, any coward can talk shit on the internet."

There is, of course, truth to this observation.  Which is why I think it's important to attach my real name to everything I write.  Just like Dave Mailman, I actually have to interact with the people I write about.  It raises the stakes.

Think about it the next time you leave an awesome, snarky comment on a website.  Knowing that you'd inevitably run into the person you're writing about, would you attach your real name to your comment?

Dave Mailman says: May 26, 2009 at 9:04 am

... Not as creative or emotionally disturbed as some of the characters inhabiting this virtual reality world that is PostSurf, but I do like to set the record straight for everyone when I can… This site is kind of like a drug, though. You know it’s not good for you, but with crew like BR around you know your going to have a good time!
PS: Definitely not condoning drug use… just a metaphor.

“Which is why I think it’s important to attach my real name to everything I write”….Unless you use a pseudonym. “I created this monster of sqwauk, but I don’t read the posts or contribute past the thread”.

Read Dave the Mailman’s quote. Apologetically tripping over political correctness with the veneer of colonial genteel, the Mailman references Lewis’ alter ego and scores comment of the week. Shocking.

Dave, welcome, and congrats (I guess?). I like your positive posts, although you’re a touch too nice I think for most of our tastes. All good though brother. Poor fucking Mark is probably whining to his his wife right now while driving past 4′ Lani’s. “I tried so hard this week!” You seem like a good guy though Mark. But damn, lighten up.

As for BR and Lewis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjoined_twins

• SmyrnaJeff says:

Mark used HIS real name.

• Angry Villager with Pitchfork says:

With all due respect to Dave Mailman, what a total crock of fucking shit. Try being the only one in the village who carries a pitchfork around and see how annonymous you are.

• Mark's Vagina says:

How hard must I whine and threaten to leave Postsurf before I am finally awarded the comment of the weak again?

@Occy’s mum

How the fuck did you find a picture of Lewis and Blasphemy together!?

AVP has a point…

• Bruce Wayne and Batman says:

Has anybody ever actually seen Lewis and Blasphemy in the same room together?

• Someone who Knows says:

@ Occy’s Mum

Lani’s dropped to 2 foot today with a couple of 3 footers.

And your son licks G.T.’s nuts.

I think Lewis should become the Charles Barkley of the surfing world. Someone with keen insight, sharp wit, and someone who say anything about anyone and get away with it.

It’s entertaining as hell. If we all kissed each other’s asses all day, we’d end up with lips that smelled like Mark’s dog’s anus.

I, for one, hate the smell of dog shit on my lips.

Wow. That is the worst Blasphemy Rottmouth impression I have ever seen.

• Angry Villager with Pitchfork says:

Incidentally, Cardiff Reef was super fun on a SUP today. My pithfork works so well. I tape some plastic on the forks so I can dig when I paddle. Then, I pitchfork any snakes in the heart when I cruise down the line.

They say the best surfer in the water is the one having the most fun. Let me assure you, that’s me!

• Scott Bass's Severed Head says:

Do NOT drop in on Angry Villager with Pitchfork.

I wonder if Dave Mailman would trade his COWA for a WQS 6 star victory. Probably not.

• SmyrnaJeff says:

I spoke to Mark today.

That guy is seriously screwed up. Ever since the comment from fake Mark at 4:53 p.m. on 5-28 the real Mark hasn’t worked, surfed or spent any time with his family. His wife said that all he does is watch the movies The Weatherman with Nicholas Cage and American Beauty with Kevin Spacey over and over again. She thinks he relates to those sort of characters.
    Last night she caught him screaming madly at the computer saying ” Luke can’t change the conditions!!! The waves are gonna do what the waves are gonna do!!!” After he went to bed she looked at the screen and it was on Post Surf from a week ago or so and commenters were complaining about Luke Egan running the contest in mediocre conditions. Later she watched The Weatherman by herself and at one point Nicholas Cage was screaming that ” the wind is gonna blow the way it want’s to blow!!!”

Anyway I don’t think we will hear from our boy for awhile. His wife said he is gonna send her and the kids back to Washington for a couple of months while he goes on walkabout in Indo with some new buddy of his from North Narrabeen.

Moral of the story is be careful what you say about people. Mean words are powerful weapons and some people take shit to heart more than others. Also I will say that this site is not as good without Mark.

• lazer says:

I’m confused; why should I post my real name when I leave comments? If, in doing so, it would enable anyone whom I’ve recently skewered to actually find me, then what?

This is as serious as I’m ever gonna get, so someone please answer me. Why should it be so important that I comment under my given name?

Mark’s gone????

I spend two days out of town working and look what you guys have done in my absence, no wonder the lecture on anonymity.

As for Scott Bass, when is the STreet Sweepers paddle out in his honor? I can see it now, dorks in dry baseball hats bumping into each other trying to form a circle until one “athlete” loses his balance and they all domino into the water lamenting that their baseball hats are getting wet. RIP Scott.

What should I get on my personalized license plate:

TRZRSNKE

or just

TRUAZER??

@ Lazer-I agree, who wants those dirtbags DA HUI coming over unannounced? Jeez.

• Dr. X says:

Umm, but my real name *is* Dr. X

Seriously, I think it’s fine to have anonymous names on a benign forum like PostSurf. But I have a friend who was ruthlessly stalked and abused on the internet by hate-mongers hiding behind fictitious names. It was an eye opening experience. Without kissing ass too much, Lewis and the Postal Guy are ballsy to put their names out there…

• lazer says:

My rule of thumb is: if you’re gonna have your feelings hurt by what complete strangers write on internet blogs, you’ve got more than my comments to worry about.

Also, ponder this. When I talk about my monstrous throbbing tallywhacker, I’m speaking in hyperbole. I don’t imagine you sensitive types spend any extra time imagining what my cock looks like, or feel threatened in any way by it. So don’t take anything else I type more seriously than how you feel about my beautiful boner, ’cause I’m just fucking with ya.

OK Lewis, you got me to apologize. I may start actually contributing to this site again, once I get my bearings.

• anonymous says:

That was the worst post ever!

• anonymous says:

to everyone who comments, meet me at the corner and I’ll kick your ass!

I like to think folks are threatened by my big, veiny, member. But that’s just me. Anyway, I got that going for me.

• Dave Mailman's boss says:

The reason why Dave uses his real name is because he know marketing. And he’s putting it to practice even on obscure random related message boards.

He’s himself is a product, flogging a product that goes by the name of The ASP.

• Jamon Bagel says:

Snips was robbed. ROBBED. If I get less lazy I’m gonna find that sweet 9.8 featuring the GT/Angry Villager with Pitchfork interview and repost it, over and over and over.

Are you with me, Mailman? You must be a little embarrassed right now.

• Jamon Bagel says:

Clarification: Jamon Bagle and Jamon Bagel and the same dyslexic breakfast/lunch product.

• Jamon Bagel says:

Black’s Slacks is still locked in a shipping crate in my basement. Now I somewhat enjoy his company and even give him wet Doritos and a sixer of Fresca on occasion.

He says AVwP’s comment is funny (snakes? snakes!). He also says that SBSH’s subsequent comment exponentially expands the level of funny. Since severed heads usually sink, we can assume that AVwP actually saved Bass’s head and then gave it computer access.

Lewis, I think the best we can do is have a year-end postsurf BBQ/coktail party, where we all wear those nametags with our handles…”Hello, my name is Trauzersnake”….and let the fur fly

Of course, everyone would instantly recognize me by the huge bulge in my pants

Lewis.

There, I said it… Lewis. Let’s be real here. That IS a much easier name to introduce yourself to corporate America with, than saying, “Why hello there, my name’s Blasphemy… so pleased to meet you Mrs. ‘Silver.” Or, “Good evening Madame Ballcum, my name is Mr. Rottmouth.”

Obviously my given name, like my childhood nickname’s of Occy’s Underbite, AI’s Dealer, F. Murray Abrahambone, and Magnum Q. Meatwhistle wouldn’t cutting it. So, I’ve decided to revert back to my given name. Or, as my birth certificate clearly states… Mario Van Peebles Jr.

There, it’s done. I’m now “Out.” Fire away asshole’s. I am, who I am. And if Da Pui, or Da Bra Bois, or Da Daffodils come looking for me… bitches best be ready to face the wrath of my miniature fox terrier. Bitch was raised on Hui’na One and BraBoy’s n’ Bits.

From henceforth, I shalt be known as Mario Van Peebles Jr.

Any and all questions should be directed to my new lawyer… Mr. Herman Percival Lüvkräft .

G’night, suckas.

• Mario Van Peebles Jr. says:

Word to Mark’s Mom.

• dr says:

@ BR - Then who the f*&k is Lorenzon llamas jr?!!!!!

• tony kukoc says:

Tony Kucoach is my real name. I mean, I disguised it a little bit by the misspelling, sorta my alter ego, like AI before he goes into a heat, but it’s my name. The actual spelling is Kukoc.

I didn’t want to use it — like Jesse “the body” Ventura, I found surfing and it has given new meaning and enlightenment to my life. However since I am a celebrity I didn’t want to be discredited as a rich NBA star I used the pin name kucoach.

But I love surfing so I’ve left basketball, my wife, my kids, my homeland Yugoslavia because, like all of you, I have found “the glide” and this my friends is the true meaning of life.

So Lazer that’s why it’s important to use your real name and for now on I will use mine. Proudly!

• Scott Bass's Severed Head says:

I think it’s time we all show a bit more sensitivity and compassion.

• seasnake says:

Spending far too much time on the internet. Can not remember may “real name” anymore. If anyone can help, please email me at: whatthefuckamIdoing@yohaa.com

• seasnake says:

On an unrelated note, the California legislature will be voting on Arnold’s plan to close most of the state parks tomorrow. Here is a link to this issue in which you can write a note expressing disapproval. Can you imagine what the crowd factor will be like if the parks close?

Thanks you very much, Lewis! Had to step away from the computer for a few days, and when I get back… well, let’s just say, I’m very surprised. And, yes, I do have a little smirky smile on my face as I type these lines. Jamon, I do agree though that the Snips comments made me laugh the hardest, and were brilliantly constructed commenting. And lastly, to the guy writing in as my boss, that’s the beauty of my job, actually, I don’t have one. As well as announcing gigs, I am the President of ASP Europe, which I do on a volunteer basis, just because I love the sport of surfing. Nothing else. That is also the reason that I do not indulge my primal urges to spew forth obscenities at many of the commenters to this site. Yes, I could have chosen to use a fake name, in some cases they do add to the fun, but for the real reason, see above, Lewis pretty much hit it on the head.

• Mario Van Peebles Sr. says:

Good to see my son finally get the recognition he deserves for his talent.

@ Lazer, you’re absolutely right, if these guys are so thin skinned that they take us seriously, they have larger issues. Don’t start pussing out or else this will turn into surflie.com.

So Dave the Mailman comes clean, volunteer for the ASP who realizes that his future charity work depends on homogenous public persona. Corpo sensibility pro bono. So pathetic that an industry founded on irreverence and independant thinking is suffocated by the process of profit. Well, Dave, your future “insights” now have the pretext of a copius amount of edit. No wonder you find such self contentness in your sterililty. What you don’t realize is you are exactly whom Lewis clowns… the master of deceptive irony while the rest of us stomp on fragile toes…. anonymously.

• Dr. X says:

@lazer & @Mike

No need to be paranoid — my post was not about you. At any rate, if you were stalked on the internet with threats of violence and people actually showed up at your house, as they did with my friend, your boner would quickly deflate. It’s all fun and games until someone loses a testicle…
    Cheers.

• Dave Mailman's boss says:

Dave Mailman, tell ‘em the truth.

I’m not paying you ANYTHING because WE DON’T HAVE THE CASH, LET ALONE CASH FLOW TO ACTUALLY PAY YOU!

Remember? The ASP is broke, sucka.

• taquito says:

asp europe is making money…get some mailman

• How often do you write your blogs? I enjoy them a lot 9 8 9

an individual could take into consideration beastessays.com when you are having troubles