Comment of the Weak: Team America, Fuck Yeah!

Posted by lewis on August 16, 2009 at 5:30 pm.

Comment of the Week comes from R.I.P.per, who is quite justifiably looking forward to the end of PostSurf because I haven't yet mentioned Team USA's ISA gold medal.

R.I.P.per says: August 15, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Lewis,

Not that you don’t already know, but you’re just shit. No mention of a Gold Medal in Costa?

Thing is, you can’t give props. You just spread hate.

Looking forward to the end of PostSurf.

america1

OK then.  R.I.P.per's insightful comment sparked some healthy debate amongst other regular commenters concerning whether we should or should not be celebrating Team USA's triumphant victory.

Some highlights from that thoughtful discussion:

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."  ~George Bernard Shaw

"Nationalism is an infantile disease.  It is the measles of mankind."  ~Albert Einstein

"They say that patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings.

Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you king." ~Bob Dylan

"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons."  ~Bertrand Russell

"It is lamentable, that to be a good patriot one must become the enemy of the rest of mankind."  ~Voltaire

"The ISA World Games?  Really?  Has there ever been a team-based surfing event that ANYONE cared about EVER?  In a world defined by suffering, matters this trivial are of import only to patriotic retards, and the contestants that emerge victorious." - His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama

I’m waving the flag as I write this. Team USA…coached by an Australian. A fat one.

• Another fucked intellectual surfer says:

R.I.P.er….is Fred Patacchia

• “Anyone taken as an individual, is tolerably sensible and reasonable – as a member of a the ISA World Games, he is at once a blockhead.”

- Friedrich von Schiller

• “The ISA Games are the death of individualism.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Whatevs says:

Fuck yeah!!!! And New Zealand came 11th. Even more meaningful!
    Just makes me feel all gooey on the inside knowing that I’m from the eleventh greatest surfing nation on Earth. No, fuck it, the universe!
    Love your work Lewis.

• “The ISA World Games and its ilk, rears disciples, imitators, and routinists, not pioneers of new ideas and creative geniuses. The ISA and team surfing competitions are not nurseries of progress and improvement, but conservatories of tradition and unvarying modes of thought.” - Ludwig von Mises

• “There is nothing on earth intended for innocent surfers so horrible as the ISA World Games.” - George Bernard Shaw

• “Surfers do things together [on teams]which nobody in his right mind would do alone.” - Freeman Dyson

• “The ISA World Games are the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to surf at the expense of everybody else.” - Fredric Bastiat

• “Emancipate yourselves from team surfing competition, none but ourselves can free our minds.”

— Bob Marley

• For the record, I actually think RIPper’s comments are funny. Well done on the Comment of the Weak.

• first is gay says:

what team do you surf for.?

lame

• I can’t speak for Bob, but I surf for team “Fuck You!” Though I am happy for Team “Fuck Yeah!”

• Nooner says:

Hey we have not won the Gold since 1996.

Congrats to Team USA!!! well done

• surfcheck says:

My god you all are piling on poor RIP. Surf teams are probably good in high school- otherwise its lame. Unless surfing gets into the Olympics, but sorry the competition is in the other hemisphere-

• Nug says:

Hans Brix!

Do you have any idea how fucking busy I am?–Kim Jong Il

• Joe P. says:

17th. Sup bitches.

• RogerBob says:

ahahahahha US TEAM sucks. NO SPIRIT. HUGE BUDGET. ITS HARD NOT TO WIN AT LEAST ONCE EVERY 20 YEARS. they wont win another one for decades.

• Port Foint Local says:

BVB on the wave that won it for the American team. Fuck Yeah!;

Note the “gun” surfboard and ape-like hand gestures…

• john says:

Lewis,

Did you notice fourth place received a COPPER medal ?

• P.J. O'Rourke says:

Freedom is not empowerment. Empowerment is what the Serbs have in Bosnia. Anybody can grab a gun and be empowered. It’s not entitlement. An entitlement is what people on welfare get, and how free are they? It’s not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the “right” to education, the “right” to food and housing. That’s not freedom, that’s dependency. Those aren’t rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.

• P.J. O'Rourke says:

Saddam Hussein was reduced to the Unabomber — Ted Kaczynski — a nutcase hiding in the sticks. Bin Lade as well. Sure, the terrorism by his supporters is frightening. Hence, its name, ‘terrorism.’ Killing innocent people by surprise is not called ‘a thousand points of light.’ But, as frightening as terrorism is, it’s the weapon of losers. The minute somebody sets off a suicide bomb, you can be sure that person doesn’t have ‘career prospects.’ And no matter how horrendous a terrorist attack is, it’s still conducted by losers. Winners don’t need to hijack airplanes. Winners have an Air Force

• Woody Hayes says:

Without winners, there wouldn’t even be any god damned civilization.

• Nobody ever commented on the following post; so, in a very American effort to stimulate interest in all things PostSurf, I present you with this neglected PostSurf post:

With the QuikPro only two weeks away, the frothfest has begun in anticipation of the kickoff of the ASP season.

Surfline will feature two of my articles in the coming weeks - Power Rankings for the new crew on tour, and a preview for the Quikpro. Quotes have been piling up in my inbox from Fanning, Knox, Curran, Hobgood et al.

Some of these emails from pros come across like a Public Service Announcement warning us of the dangerous effects of homeschooling. One relatively articulate pro who shall remain nameless told me about Gabe Kling getting sick in West Oz with “amonia or something.” For a second I pictured Gabe eating fertilizer - and then I realized that Kling was sick with pneumonia, not “amonia.” Riiight…

It’s interesting to look back and see how my preview of the QuikPro from last year held up. Back in Febuary ‘08, before the tour kicked off, this was my take on the State of Kelly:

With all eyes on Fanning, Jordy, and Dane, Slater is almost flying under the radar… “I don’t think I’ll do a full year on the tour,” Kelly recently said. “So I’m just going to have some fun.” Thing is, fun for Kelly usually means winning contests and then World Titles, just to remind everyone he’s the best ever.

Consider us remided.

Marc Grabinski beat Jocko at the Lane in 69″. The he went to a hippy party in midtown and returned to fin

d his vw bus pushed of the cliff.

And what about Reddo? The guy who cut leashes at the Rivermouth? And where is Pastor jan? And Nacho? And Dan Roman? I think I am going to move back up there and rat out.

Hey Lewis what kind of car do you drive? Maybe I will say hi at the o.b. lot.

I want waves mate and so cal seems to be quiet.

• nealdude says:

you can find dan roman on the cliffs at pleasure point

• jiggy jig says:

best video you have ever posted. If you don’t love America vote with your feet and get the fuck out.

• Wagner Wolfhurst says:

Freedom everybody. Freedom of the mind.
    A ho on southstreet, hired for tricks.
    Little girls, picking up sticks.
    Freedom 76. - Ween.

• Mickey Rooney says:

That Silvagni kid on the left of the photo is a giant douchewolf.

• Judas Priest says:

Sweet Jesus that video is right on time. Bomb their minds.

• Freitas says:

I think this site is becoming the end of the road to all the haters around the web!!!Dude´s get a f** life!!!
    Express your opinion but without HATE!otherwise you will sound pathetic…and lame!!

• West Hollywood says:

Those Team America outfits are so GAY!

• Another KookPost from PostKook

• Jiggy Jig says:

America Fuck Yeah!
    anyone that wants to hate on it you are invited to surf any advanced surf break here in San Diego. But if you fuck up and get sounded its your own fault. Beginners belong at the designated spots (tourmaline etc…) and if you find yourself at an advanced level surf break don’t be in the way. would you stand in front of a tee box on a golf course? didn’t think so

Oh SNAP! You just RIPped him a new one. A couple of things I will take from this post and comments. First, douchewolf. Good word. Second, the Dali Lama has far more surf knowledge and much less tact than I would have ever anticipated.

I am also left with a few questions. One, do surfers hand off batons? Do they have to chug a beer between heats? Do they have to rest their head on a bat and run around in circles before paddling out? Where did Team America finish in the potato sack race event? What about the 3 legged man?

RIP, you ignorant fuck. It was Lewis’s failure to cover the Jack Johnson North Shore softball tourney that will spell the end for postsurf.

• Fat git says:

Jeesus, fricken seppos, next you’ll all be chanting U.S.A, U.S.A, hoo-rah. ;-)

On a serious note, I bet you are stoked when you get paired up with Jihad Khodr in a 3 legged man race. It probably doesn’t faze him a bit to run with his leg stilted straight.

Speaking of 3 legged men, trauzersnake, have you heard when A Knoost is holding his triannual weenie roast?

• trash laden says:

you got some impressive comentators! did’t know dalai lama speaks french though

Ballz, the mention of weanie roasts makes the trauzer shudder with fear, probably similar to what you feel at the sound of some hydraulic, spring loaded nut-cracking device. But in all seriousness, I won’t be invited back after my disqualification from the three-legged race. Unfourtunately someone discovered that I actually have a third leg. It was ugly….blinding the angry mob of nappy-headed, skinny jean wearing hipsters with jizz as i made my hasty exit through the parking lot

• Crusty Native says:

The val knowledge throwdown from Mark. Ghosts of the past don’t secure your future. Roman is eastside all the way.

Why don’t Hawaiian’s compete for the USA? Are Andy, Bruce, and JOB indigenous islanders? There’s a lot of military on those rocks…

Team Jumpsuits are lame…. the bronzed Aussie influence humiliating the national team.

@ Freitas says:
    August 17, 2009 at 4:09 am

Freitas: You say “HATE” like it’s a bad thing.

“To hate is to love. Can we? Can I? What’s the separation that splits these apart, creates contradictions? Are the contradictions real?” - Confusing Zen Saying

Many here are following the way of Zen. Feel free to join us. Feel the hate. Feel the love. The end of the road is the beginning of a new road. Fuck yeah!

• yakas says:

Entitlement is the end of a culture.
    Patriotism is for people who feel entitled to “Live the Cliche” without criticism.
    Lack of creativity is the way of the entitled.

Surfing is filled with the entitled breed and the creative breed. There are only two places the breeds clash. The first is unintentional and blind to which breed we are - and that’s in the water. The second is here. PostSurf is like NPR, everything else is Fox news

A wise man once said that there comes a time when a man has traveled down the same path for too long.

Take a right at the green light. Those were his exact words.

I can see an intersection on my horizon. What should I do?

• Ol Dirty Bastard says:

Why didn’t anyone mention that pacsun is the sponsor of the USA? Surf industry my balls, more like fashion industry.

Isn’t RIPper (Freddy P?) from Hawaii? I though the islanders would haaattee all that is imperialistic and mainland American. There should be a Hawaiian team.. where is the line drawn?

As for Post Surf spreading hate? More like spreading cynical truth and reality checks for those who need em. Living in the positive is good but there is still a need to acknowledge truth.

here are some truths as ODB see’s them
    1) Pro Surfers get paid to ride waves. In this world they are mostly irrelevant and rarely contribute to the creation of goods and services that enhance the comforts of mankind. They’re similar to most other athletes and entertainers.
    2) The surf industry is geared toward maximizing interest in the ‘lifestyle’ and selling clothes.
    3) Surfing is really fun, and thats all the magazines try to get across with their messages.
    4) The surf magazines provides a happy and fun introduction for all who want to partake of surfing and it’s glory.
    5) Surfing is here for us to have fun. So it’s fucked up to whore the sport just like its uncool to hate on the people who bring it to the world.

• P.J. O'Rourke says:

I’m a registered Republican and consider socialism a violation of the American principle that you shouldn’t stick your nose in other people’s business except to make a buck.

• brownys reacharound says:

at least Team USA is sponsored by a Hardcore Surf Company like PacSun

• Eddie says:

I can’t believe I just wasted all that time reading these shitty comments when I should’ve been surfing the shitty waves out there right now. Way better experience.

• yakas says:

@o’rourke
    I hope thats sarcasm.
    Sing along now…
    America, fuck yeah
    im gonna cram my ideology up your ass
    and drain your oil.

thank god for the entitled. without them we wouldn’t have big gulps

• yakas says:

@ jiggy jig
    do you use a translator for your comments.

Hope I get an invite to advanced san diego surf breaks.

I wonder if they are on parchment with a script font and fragrant aroma.

• God says:

Trust in me, Mark, trust in me.

As for America, you’re damn well right I bless it. Those effers need all the help they can get.

Is it just me or is TEAM USA extremely Arryan? And do I see a few heils mixed in with the number one sign?

• S. says:

Right up there with this:

Really? Really? Seriously? Come on. Really?

I was thinking it was an April Fool’s Day joke, but that was 4 months ago… or 8 months from now. Maybe Sean is planning ahead.

• Richbzztch says:

GAC RIP or eat a dick straight up. Your choice.

LMAO at Surf High School. Classic they put it in the Valley. I’m sure all the best surfers in Granada Hills and Chatsworth will be there.

• J Crue says:

fuck team sports. a loathing for team sports is what led me to surf in the first place. the only team that has ever mattered is the one with vince, mick, nikki and tommy on the roster.

• that video is sweeeeeetttttt!!!!

Hawaii is number one FUCK YOU!

• johnny5 says:

Team Money, fuck yeah!!

Maybe I can join the team some day (if my grades are good enough).

• Outer Membrane says:

Team USA uberagent, Sam George, announced today that a deal was struck with the federal government for the early release of disgraced Wall St. investor, Bernie Madoff, as long as Mr. Madoff agreed to act as financial investor for Team USA….When asked about the deal, Mr. Madoff replied, “A true patriot knows that Team USA doesn’t need props from PostSurf, it needs money….” After which he described the new Team USA ponzi hedge fund in detail and the high regard he had for Bob Dylan. Investors are encouraged to contact the newly formed PostSurf Investment Partners (PIP) for more information….

• P.J. O'Rourke says:

@yakas,

Did Kim Jong Il release those lesbian journalists because of the goodness of his heart?

Nope.

The reason was a plane load of cash and Johnny Walker Red.

Don’t let ‘em fool you.

No one digs, drains, ships, and refines oil unless they are making serious bank.

Even communists and socialists.

• Otto von Jizzalot says:

@ PJ, gotta agree w/ya

wtf were those cunts thinking when they tried to enter N.Korea?

• Otto von Jizzalot says:

@ Blashpemy, how do i put this?, ok, maybe you should take your girl out to dinner tonite and show her your skill at identifying good sea urchin eggs from bad sea urchin eggs…..

• Otto von Jizzalot says:

@ Blasphemy, sushi of course…..

• P.J. O'Rourke says:

Otto,

These opportunistic chicks were thinking the same thing as the Supreme Commander of the Korean People’s Army. The General Secretary of the Workers’ Party of Korea.

They thought they’d make some serious bank by reporting on and from N.K.

Yes, they thought the very same thing as Kim Jong Il.

Cash and Johhny Walker Red.

• al says:

more surfline.com hilarity…
    seriously check picture 10 of 22…now it’s ok to get little kids high and drunk…looks like he is getting ready to speak on behalf of power balance

• al says:

i guess i have a better chance of winning fantasy surfer than ever getting comment of the week here

• B says:

@S.
    surfing high school! bitch please you can now get a DEGREE in SURFING!

Yes, Team USA winning ISA gold is rather irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, and probably won’t happen again for a long time (unless K9 surfs in it). Much more interesting would have been for LS to bag the rest of the world for losing to FRANCE (2nd overall), and 1st place in men’s shortboard for Jeremy Flores! Would’ve hated to be on the Aussie team…

@ Crusty Native

“Emancipate yourself from eastside slavery

Not even a dry one at Sewers can ease your mind

Have no fear for N.B.’s raw energy

Cause you can’t drink with Roman all a da time

Won’t you help to sing

Dese songs of Westside freedom

cause all you ever had

was Bombura all along”

‘Power Rankings’ at Yahoo Finance/ Fox Business.

who came up with the name first ? who holds the trademark ?

the domain name is taken.

Dead dreams fly flags. - Johnny Lydon (PIL)

Epic post! Surfing is not a team sport. That’s what I always tell people when they ask me why I surf solo. (And no haters it’s not b/c I have no friends.) Even if a friend wants to surf, I always meet them in the water so I am not a slave to another person’s schedule.

• Surfing America fails says:

Ok so they go win gold come home and then power play Lowers from the NSSA. You have to be kidding. This whole thing is out of control. Jusy six months ago Surfing Magazine and Surfing America sent out a press release stating they joined forces and were ready to take on the world. I guess that did not last long. So did Surfing America fall short on there word? All the other organization are leaving Surfing America becuase of what they did to the NSSA. Good job dorks thanks for ruining it for the kids. This is going to be a PR nightmare not only for Surfing America but ther states parks as well. Hey when the Toll Road geeks come back and use thins against us in the next next battle just remember you could have avoided this mess Surfing America.

How swing trainer develops muscle memory using weighted technology and visual aid. . låna direkt . payday loans online reviews in 20 minutes